- 2 garlic cloves- smashed & cut up2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Packet Tomatoes ( more the merrier)- tinned if prefer
- 2 aubergines- cut into about 1 cm strips length ways
- freshly grated Parmesan 65 g or mix with some mozzarella
- torn basil leaves
- 2 eggs beaten
- few tablespoons tomato puree
DOUBLE THE QUANTITIES IF YOU ARE FEEDING A LARGER FAMILY
- Heat oven 200 F or 180 fan/ gas 6.
- Heat a griddle pan until very hot.
- Brush the aubergine with a little olive oil & add to pan
- Grilled- turning half way (I always use my perching stool for this meal as it does take a bit of patience waiting for them to get browned & cooked through)
- Add more aubergine & cook in the same way- remove & drain on kitchen paper
- Meanwhile fry the garlic & chopped tomatoes in a pan for approx 10 mins (this is where you many hands either stirring tomatoes, or turning smoking aubergines!!)
- Help yourself to a cuppa at this point as it is quite heated by the stove for all this preparation- but worth while
- When all the aubergines are grilled- lay a few in an oven proof dish. Cover with a bit of cheese, few torn basil leaves, seasoning ( I like loads of ground pepper). More aubergines, cheese, basil etc until you get to the top layer when you pour the beaten egg on the top. sprinkle with cheese pepper & basil.
- Pop in the oven on a baking tray
- Cook for approx 20 mins or until topping is golden
Eat & enjoy- I like mine with pasta, some nicely cooked veg & obviously a glass of wine